City of Russell
RUSSELL - While communities across the Midwest are experiencing rolling blackouts, the City of Russell is working to keep blackouts from occurring to our customers by generating a portion of our customer's electric demand.
However, if electric demand exceeds our generating capabilities, controlled service interruptions may become necessary.
The City of Russell has natural gas and diesel electric generation units. The City cannot run the natural gas generation due to the high demand for natural gas and heating priority. The City's diesel generation units are running to cover a portion of customers' electric usage.
All customers should prepare for the potential for these periodic outages. If an emergency electricity reduction impacts you, you do not need to report your outage. If you experience an outage that lasts longer than an hour, call 785.483.6311.
The City of Russell is again asking customers to take a few specific actions that make a significant impact on electric and natural gas demand.
A few specific actions customers can take to make a significant impact on electric and natural gas demands:
• Turn thermostats a little cooler (65-68 degrees)
• Avoid the use of electric space heaters
• Close blinds and shades to reduce the amount of heat loss through windows.
• Turn off unnecessary lights and appliances.
• When possible, delay non-essential energy use (washing/drying clothes) to hours lower in energy use (between 10 pm and 5 am).
• Businesses are asked to reduce the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
Customers are also encouraged to:
• Make sure phones, tablets, and other devices stay at a full charge
• Fill up your gas tank(s)
• Know where your main water valve is. In the unlikely event of an outage, please turn it off and all faucets on to allow pipes to empty to prevent freezing.
• Keep a battery-powered charger on hand, if you can
• Have an emergency kit on-hand, containing things like blankets, gloves, hats, warm/loose layers of clothes, flashlights, and batteries
• Please bring pets indoors.
We appreciate everyone's efforts and conservation and your patience as the Midwest region works through this crisis.