City of Hays
All consumer fireworks that are legal in Kansas are approved for sale and use in the city of Hays.
Fireworks sales are permitted Thursday through Saturday, July 2 to 4, and can be used in the city those days from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
State law prohibits fireworks from being ignited or discharged:
· From a moving or stationary vehicle
· On a public street or right-of-way
· Within 100-feet of a hospital or nursing home or fireworks location
· Within 50-feet of a fuel pump or gas station
· Bottle rockets or other skyrockets mounted on a stick or a wire are prohibited by state law.
City code prohibits fireworks use in cemeteries.
Fireworks are for outdoor use only. Persons younger than 12 years old should not use fireworks.
Use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter or combine fireworks.
Fireworks and alcohol don’t mix. Have a designated shooter.
Keep a hose, water bucket or fire extinguisher handy when using fireworks and call 911 promptly if a person is injured or a fire is started by fireworks.
Practice courtesy and respect. Clean up your fireworks debris. Avoid disturbing your neighbors when you use fireworks.