Hays Fire Department
The Hays Fire Department responded just after 7 a.m. Tuesday to a report of smoke coming from a water heater located at Wendy's restaurant, 1800 Vine.
According to a news release from Shane Preston, deputy chief, fire crews found a small amount of smoke coming from the bottom of the water heater.
They immediately doused the smoldering embers with a water fire extinguisher. Damage was contained to the water heater.
Cause of the fire was a faulty water heater, according to Preston.
Preston told Hays Post the restaurant was open for breakfast business, "but by the time we arrived, Hays police had gotten customers and their vehicles our of our way."
No injuries were reported.
The Hays Fire Department, Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, Ellis County EMS, and Hays Police Department all responded.