BARTON COUNTY—A home explosion in Great Bend on Wednesday was caused by a gas leak, according to a statement from Deputy Fire Chief Brent Smith.
The explosion occurred at a home in the 700 block of 10th Street just after 3.m. and critically injured a man.
The victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and secure the scene. Tenth Street was closed for approximately an hour while debris was removed from the roadway.
Testing showed that the gas line from the main to the structure was intact and was not leaking, according to Smith.
There was significant damage to neighboring structures and vehicles. The cause of the explosion was investigated by the Great Bend Fire Department and the Office of the Kansas State Fire Marshal.
Authorities have not released an update on the condition of the man injured in the explosion.