Jan 26, 2020 12:27 AM

Hays falls in championship game in Colby

Posted Jan 26, 2020 12:27 AM

Hays High could not overcome a season high 21 turnovers as their seven game winning streak was snapped by Pine Creek High School in Colby on Saturday.

Hays led by as many as seven in the second quarter while Pine Creek led by eight in the third quarter.  Each time the teams canceled the lead.  A 14-3 run by the Indians in the second half erased an eight point deficit and put them up 40-37 with 4:26 remaining.  The lead switched hands three more times in the final three minutes. 


The Indians final lead came with 2:44 left on a pair of free throws.  Pine Creek made nine of their final eleven free throws to keep Hays their lead and a 50-46 victory.  The Eagles had started the game four of ten from the line before going eleven of fourteen in the fourth quarter.

Dalyn Schwarz and TJ Nunnery each scored sixteen points.  Hays fall to 8-3 on the year and #10-5A Pine Creek improves to 15-2.

Coach Alex Hutchins

Carson Kieffer, Dylan Ruder and Jace Linenberger were named to the All-Tournament team.  Ruder was also honored on the All-Academic Team.  Linenberger was named the tournament's "Off-The-Bench" award as well.   Jason Krannawitter was given the Gary Garrettson Sportsmanship Award.

The Indians are on the road on January 31st in Salina to take on the Central Mustangs. 

Continue Reading Hays Post
Jan 26, 2020 12:27 AM
Solid second half lifts 10th-ranked FHSU women past NW MissourI State

MARYVILLE, Mo. – Fort Hays State outscored Northwest Missouri State 17-6 over the first six-plus minutes of the third quarter to turn a seven-point halftime deficit into a six-point lead and beat the Bearcats 70-59 Saturday afternoon at Bearcat Arena.

The 10th-ranked Tigers (16-3, 7-3 MIAA) overcame 32-percent shooting in the first half by going 12-of-24 in the second half and 21-of-22 from the free throw line after halftime.

FHSU used a 9-0 first quarter run to turn a five-point deficit into a four-point lead but Northwest (8-10, 3-6 MIAA) responded with a 17-5 run to go up eight with 2:19 to play in the second quarter. The Bearcats, who have lost five straight, led 32-25 at halftime.

The Tigers built their biggest lead of the game at 56-45 with 7:42 to play in the fourth quarter but the Bearcats closed the gap to five with 1:28 left. FHSU scored the final six points of the game from the free throw line to push the lead back to 11.

Jaden Hobbs scored 17 of her game-high 22-points in the second half including 10-of-11 from the free throw line.

Kacey Kennett went 10-for-10 from the foul line and scored 16. It's the  most makes without a miss for a Tiger in nearly five years. Taylor Rolfs added 15 points.

FHSU didn’t make a 3-pointer in the final three quarters and finished 2-of-17 from beyond the arc.