SEDGWICK COUNTY —Law enforcement authorities are investigating an alleged accidental shooting and have made an arrest.
Just after 8 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to a shooting call at the apartment complex in the 500 block of North Nims in Wichita, according to Officer Charley Davidson.
Upon arrival, officers located 19-year-old Jyrez Ricks of Wichita in the parking lot who had been shot. Ricks was pronounced deceased on the scene, according to Davidson.
The investigation revealed 21-year-old Jordan Williams was handling a handgun inside the apartment occupied by Ricks and three other adult friends. The gun accidentally discharged, striking Ricks.
Police contacted Williams on the scene and arrested without incident on a requested charge of involuntary manslaughter.
Davidson reminded the importance of practicing gun safety.
If you own a gun:
• Always store guns unloaded and security locked;
• Use a gun case, gun safe, or lockbox for safer storage;
• Store ammunition in a separate location; and
• Talk to your children about gun safety.
If you find a gun, leave it alone and tell an adult;
• Always assume a gun is loaded;
• Never point a gun at anyone; and
• Ask your parents about proper gun safety.
Practice gun safety to protect yourself and your family.